29 Apr 2020

4 Common Human Food that are Toxic for your Dogs

There are a variety of human foods that are unsafe for pets, though some of these foods may look delicious to them, but they can be proven deadly when consumed. It could be very tempting to offer your dog food from the table (how could one resist when they look at you so dearly in the eyes), however they should not be fed human food unless approved by your veterinarian. Do keep in mind that some human foods can result in severe illness or even death in dogs. In any case that you suspect your pet may have consumed food that are toxic for them, contact your veterinarian immediately as in most cases early it is important to identify and get treatment early.

  1. Chocolate

Many owners would have heard about chocolate being dangerous for their dogs. Chocolates contain caffeine and theobromine, which is a chemical that is toxic to dogs in large enough quantities. While different chocolates contain varying amounts, it should be in no way that a small amount or type of chocolate is considered ‘safe’ for your dog to eat. Consuming chocolates may result in abnormal heartbeats, kidney failure and even death.

  1. Grapes and Raisins

Fruits may be beneficial for us humans, however do think twice before feeding some to your furkid. It is unknown what the toxic agent is in these fruits. Though some dogs may react differently, grapes and raisins may cause acute kidney failure in dogs. Clinical signs can occur within 24 hours of ingestion, which includes vomiting, diarrhea and tiredness.

  1. Xylitol

Xylitol are artificial sweetener found in products such as candy, mints and sugar free cookies. It is dangerous to dogs as it will cause a sudden increase of insulin in the body that leads to low blood sugar, it may also cause liver damage in dogs. It can be fatal if left untreated, symptoms can show up as quickly as 30 minutes after ingestion up to 12 hours after ingestion.

  1. Onions and Garlic

Both garlic and onions contain chemicals that will damage red blood cells in your dogs. Cooking them do not reduce their potential toxicity, which can cause affected red blood cells to rupture and lose their ability to carry oxygen effectively, resulting in life threatening situation.

In many cases, ingestion of dangerous food in dogs are accidental. The optimal solution is to keep food items in areas that are inaccessible to dogs and educate our children that human food should never be offered to dogs unless been advised by your veterinarian.

SCDTS Team